From the desk of Randy Massingill, President & Founder of Industrial Boiler & Mechanical Company.
I would like to take a moment to share with you that we have crossed another milestone in the history of our company. On January 26, 2017, IB&M will celebrate 30 years of its establishment. I would like to take this occasion to thank each of our employees, customers and vendors for the part you have played in the success of our company.
Here's our story.
Industrial Boiler & Mechanical started back in 1987 as a start-up Boiler Repair & Service Division for a highly respected, major mechanical contractor in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Our humble beginnings started in a job site trailer in the back parking lot with one employee, one truck and one big dream. We had no shop to start off with, but later leased a section of an empty building which once served as a steel foundry several miles away. Our division focused on the service, repairs and installation of small packaged boilers within roughly a 30 mile radius.
In 1990, we branched out on our own to our current home office location on North Hawthorne Street in Chattanooga, Tennessee. At this point we had grown to 27 employees and were running 7 trucks and had started penetrating the Dalton Georgia carpet industry market. At the time we had no idea the carpet industry, which our company “cut its teeth”, would continue to serve as the cornerstone of core business for decades to come. Looking back, having our shop/office of 12,500 sq/ft made it feel as though we had moved into the Georgia Dome.
It would be an understatement to say the last 30 years have flown by. Along the way we’ve had some outstanding milestones that we never dreamed possible when we first started in that original jobsite trailer. While our average employee count has been a little less than a 100 employees in the most recent years, in April of 2015 we hit our all-time high employee number of 184 employees while completing a major process piping project in Dixson, Tennessee.
Some of our milestones include:
- LOCATIONS - Chattanooga (home office), Nashville Tennessee and Mobile Alabama
- CURRENT FACILITIES – Total of six buildings, 75,000 sq/ft under roof with 3 overhead cranes (total 90 ton capacity), on 4 separate properties.
- SERVICE FLEET – Currently operating 38 trucks
- RENTAL BOILER DIVISION – IB&M’s rental division host the largest rental fleet in the southeast U.S.
- VALVE & PUMP REPAIR FACILITY – Separate 14,000 sq/ft facility for valve and pump testing and repair
- R&D BOILER TEST CENTER – Has as tested burners and burners for some of the largest boiler and burner companies in the U.S. Testing include U.L. Laboratories testing, N.Y. Standards testing, Canada Approval, New boiler & burner capacity and emissions testing.
- CONTROLS & INSTRUMENTATION FACILITY – This building is our latest addition in which we build custom control panel/systems designed specifically for our customer’s needs. This facility also has the capability to remote monitor systems in the field to provide quicker response in remote trouble shooting in the event our customer has a problem has a problem with their system.
- EPA TESTING – We currently have mobile emissions testing systems with full SIMS monitoring systems for EPA compliance required testing.
- INTERNATIONAL PROJECTS - We have provided steam plant systems in 17 different countries
- LICENSES – IB&M currently holds 27 state and specialty contractor license.
- AWARDS – Recipient of over 20 awards for safety and sales performance including number one rep in the nation for Johnston Boiler Company for the last four years.
Today our company is proud and honored to have served many of the nation’s top companies such as Shaw Industries, Mohawk Industries, Bridgestone/Firestone USA, Exxon, Shell Oil, Phillips 66, Sonoco Products, Lockheed Martin, TVA, Southern Company, Duke Power, American Protein, Goodyear Tire, Vanderbilt University, University of Tennessee, University of Alabama, Georgia Tech, Tennessee Tech, Hospital Corp of America (HCA), Jack Daniels Distillery, Remington Arms, Dow, DuPont, BASF, Bowater Paper Company, Georgia Pacific, ADM and many, many others.
Our company has been blessed and is very thankful for the countless achievements and accomplishments, especially for the last 3 years which proved to be exceptionally productive for our company. Without the support of our excellent team of personnel and dedicated customers it would never have been possible. Every one of you has played a very important role in the development and continued growth of our company. It is for your enthusiasm, support and dedication that has brought us to where we are today. IB&M shall ever remain indebted to you for your contributions.
This special 30 year milestone has allowed us to pause and look at the road ahead. I pledge today our dedication to our customers and this industry to continue to provide leading edge technology to an industry that is so important to our community, this nation and our environment. Thank you.